Friday, May 22, 2009

Noodles!




Sundays growing up were my favorite day of the week. Once a month on a Sunday after Church we would get 'junk food' for dinner. In my mothers house anything she didn't cook is junk food. I loved when we got Chinese food as our junk. I love noodles. Any which way you can make them I'll eat them. Unfortunately I don't know how to cook them and I have never bought them from anywhere other than a restaurant.

Last week I was strolling through the isles of the supermarket looking for anything on sale when I came across the Asian section. "This could be fun" I thought. I grabbed some rice noodles and anything else that had that beautiful Red Tag on it. Hey if I'm going to experiment with something I might as well save money this way if it is inedible I wont feel bad about paying retail.

Lucky for me this turned out pretty damn good and I didn't have to run to the local Chinese restaurant to get my noodle fix.


Teriyaki Vegetable Noodles


1 package of rice noodles
1 cup Teriyaki sauce (recipe to follow)
5 tbs Hoisen Sauce
A few dashes of Soy Sauce
1/2 cup of mixed veggies (I used peas and carrots)
1 can of Baby Corn
1 can of Button Mushrooms
1 onion diced

2 Eggs (prepare them scrambled)
Sesame oil
Handful of toasted walnuts

Teriyaki Sauce:
1/4 cup of Water
1/2 cup of soy sauce
2 tablespoons of rice wine
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 cup of sugar
1 teaspoon of ground ginger
1 teaspoon of ground garlic.



Combine all into a sauce pan and cook on low heat until the sugar is completely dissolved.


Boil the rice noodles until almost done. You want the to be a little firm because they will finish cooking in the Wok.




Coat the bottle of a wok with sesame oil. Add in the veggies. Toss the veggies, corn, onion, mushrooms and cook them through. Add in the teriyaki, soy, hoisen and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring.







Mix in the Scrambled eggs, toasted walnuts and noodles. Cook for another 5 minutes, stirring.

No comments:

Post a Comment