Monday, May 11, 2009

Meat shaped like bread?


Last year I got a brilliant idea. I’m gonna buy myself a cow! I figured that my husband loves to BBQ and we are both big meat eaters so it would work for us. I took a year to do some research on buying a cow for beef and it seemed like a good idea. Besides the health benefits we are supporting a local farmer who raises grass fed organic beef. I got a call last month that “Bessie” (yes my mother named her) was ready to go to slaughter. I called the farmer and gave her the ok. A few hours later I got a call back saying “We received the payment and job was done.” I felt like I had just put a hit on poor Bessie. The farmer was my Paulie Walnuts and I was Tony. My Sicilian husband would be so proud of me!

We ran out to Home Depot and got the biggest freezer they had in stock. Plugged it in then the prepared ourselves for a nice 3 hour drive in the country…5 hours later we got to the farm. Not only does my husband not ask for directions but he ‘knows’ where he is going. When you are in the middle of no where it is pretty hard to ask for directions…and I felt bad asking a cow. We finally got to the farm, took one look at what 800lbs of steaks looks like and my mouth started to water. So we loaded up the truck with boxes and boxes of meat…and prayed that we didn’t get pulled over. It would be fun explaining that one to a state trooper.

When we got back to Long Island we started to unload the meat and divide it into 4 portions (we split the cow with some family…I love meat but I can’t eat 800 lbs in a year). Needless to say my dog was in HEAVEN. I have about 200lbs of Organic, dry aged, low fat and low in cholesterol, prime grass fed beef in my house. Just over 80lbs of that is ground beef. Since I’m not looking into The Guinness Book of World Records I think I will just defrost one package of meat tonight.

Meatloaf
1lb of ground beef
1 cup of Mozzarella cheese cubes (I use fat free-you can’t taste the difference here)
2 eggs
1 cup of Seasoned Breadcrumbs
Salt and pepper to taste
2 slices of center cut bacon (or turkey bacon)

Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes




Put ground beef into a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the middle and drop in one egg. Fold in. Add ½ of the bread crumbs and Mix. .












Make a well again and add the remaining egg and bread crumbs. Add the Mozzarella Cheese cubes and mix.






Form the meat mixture into a loaf (get it?) and place in the center of you baking pan. Push any of the Cubes of cheese into the loaf so it doesn't escape durring baking. Lay two slices of bacon on top. Bake in a pre heated oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment