Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Come on baby light my fire



Summer is the season for Barbecue. My husband goes out back, slowly turns the knob on his new Weber and then listens for that 'click, click. click POOF'....ahhhh Fire. He slowly closed the lid and waits exactly 8 minutes for it to get to the optimal sear temperature. The first time he turned on his new toy it reminded me of that scene from Castaway when Tom Hanks figured out how to make fire. It doesn't take much for my husband to enjoy himself.

While he waits he sits down with a nice beer and enjoys his night of cooking dinner for me, I am in the kitchen preparing the vegetables, salad and steaks to go on the grill. I try to tell him that just because he puts the meat on the grill doesn't mean he is giving me the night off from cooking. Its not fair when you really think about it. I spend all the time in the kitchen cleaning the meat, making a marinade from scratch, cleaning and cutting up the veggies then I get the joy of clean the kitchen AND the grill after Bobby Flay is done out there. Yet he gets the credit. I really don't get it but I go along with it because being near an open flame is some sort of male power trip.

Personally I think the 'danger' of grilling is what gets men going. A small drip of juice and you get a flair up. A grin crosses any mans face and inside their brain is Tom Hanks screaming "AHA! Look what I have created!!! I HAVE MADE FIRE!!!" then they proceed to dance around the grill to put it out. You got a slight breeze- you got a flair up. Lets face it: Anytime there is a chance to need a ambulance or fire truck, men are all over it.

Enjoy yourselves boys, I will be in the kitchen watching you through the window and laughing my ass off while drinking a glass of wine and praying for rain.


Wine and Fire Marinade Sirloin

3 lbs Sirloin Steak (Bessie to the rescue again)
2 cups of Red Wine
1 cup Soy Sauce
1/2 Cup Worcestershire
2 Lemons, sliced to make circles
1 Vidalia onion
4 cloves of garlic


Dice the Onion and Garlic. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and Marinade your steak for at least 3 hours, but overnight is best. Yes that is a Sirloin and yes it is from my cow Bessie. Nice huh?

On a searing HOT grill lay the steaks down and rest the onions and lemon slices on top. Spash or brush on every few minutes with the marinade. This should make the man behind the grill happy...LOTS of flair ups. When you do this the marinade will give the steak a great smoky char flavor. Flip the steaks after about 5-10 minutes depending on how you prefer the temperature. Lay the lemons on the grill next to the steak when you flip. This will give them a nice grill line and flavor.
Squeeze the juice out of the lemon slices and serve. I have a simple side of mashed potatoes...it is a man food after all. If you need a recipe for mashed potato's then you probably should be working with an open flame to begin with...i kid i kid...sort of.
Serving suggestions: I marinaded my steak with a Chianti so I drank the left over with it. Perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment